Restore speech, communication and reduce frustration
Speech therapy intervention for adults and seniors typically follows the onset of a traumatic event, such as a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) or a Cerebrovascular Accident (CVA), or the diagnoses of some sort of neurological condition, such as Cerebral Palsy or dementia.
Allied Rehab speech therapy services for adults and seniors are intended to help educate a client on what is occurring within their bodies or what has changed, and provide intervention to help remediate challenges or compensate for differences or loss of skills. Our speech-language pathologists are educated and trained to evaluate aspects of speech, language, voice, swallowing, and cognition (including memory, planning, task completion, etc.) and provide appropriate treatment to meet the needs of the individual and encourage increased confidence and capability in completing daily tasks and engaging with the world around them.
- Aphasia: Improvement in understanding language or verbal/written language expression post-stroke.
- Apraxia: Motor-planning disorder affecting coordination of movements required to produce sounds in words, sentences, and conversation.
- Memory: Retention of short and long-term memory skills.
- Dysarthria: Muscle weakness which leads to uncoordinated movements affecting speech sound production.
- Voice: Improving voice quality through appropriate breathing and vocal hygiene protocols and tailored voice exercises.
- Fluency: Fluency shaping and modification techniques to decrease rate of stuttering/disfluencies in speech.
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication Devices for Adults when verbal speech is unattainable or very difficult to understand.
- Articulation: Improving speech sound production to increase clarity of speech.
- Dysphagia: Modified diet or swallowing exercises to ensure safe swallowing habits to avoid coughing or aspiration (food or bacteria entering the lungs).
Improve your situation and recover as fully as possible
Common reasons our clients receive speech therapy is to restore speech, communication and reduce frustration following an injury or surgery. Patients can improve their situation and recover as fully as possible. Our Speech staff is trained to evaluate and determine the scope and severity of speech and cognitive challenges resulting from concussion, stroke, head injury or dementia. Allied Rehab of Wake Forest, NC has a diverse trained staff to help in your situation related to speech problems occurring in your life. Contact us today to find out how we can help you!